BROOKINGS — SDSU Extension is currently recruiting AmeriCorps members to serve full-time in: Aberdeen, Lemmon, Mitchell, Sioux Falls, Watertown and other South Dakota communities.
“AmeriCorps VISTA service members will work with SDSU Extension staff to increase knowledge of and access to physical and financial health and wellness techniques in effort to bring economically disadvantaged South Dakotans out of poverty,” said Aimee House Ladonski, SDSU Extension volunteer development field specialist.
What do AmeriCorps members do?
AmeriCorps members will have the opportunity to do the following:
• Serve your country full-time for 1 year to bring SD citizens out of poverty.
• Earn a monthly living stipend.
• Receive an education award to be used for tuition and/or student loans; Build your resume with program design, development and implementation.
• Receive preferential hiring post-service with federal agencies and hundreds of employers of national service across the country.
• Experience top-notch professional development training.
• Engage in national networking opportunities.
• Be a preferred hire for federal and private employment.
Applicants must be 18 years old or older to apply. Some college is preferred for most position openings. Applications are due Sept. 21 for a start date of Nov. 6.
A variety of positions are available to meet a diversity of professional interests and skills including:
• Family Resource Management – increase knowledge and access of financial resources.
• Better Choices, Better Health – develop outreach, recruitment and marketing materials, train lay leaders.
• Healthy School Advisor (2 positions) – assist in the implementation of SD Team Nutrition goals.
• Grow South Dakota – implement the Grow SD Food Access Program with food pantries and SD Master Gardeners.
• Agriculture and Society – Assist in the development of the South Dakota 4-H Science of Agriculture Response Challenge.
For position descriptions and application information, view this release online at http://igrow.org/news/ or send an email of interest to email@example.com. If you have any questions, contact Aimee Ladonski, SDSU Extension Volunteer Development Field Specialist at 605.782.3290.