By Pete Bauman
SDSU Extension Range Field Specialist
The South Dakota Grassland Coalition has become well known for sponsoring quality education and outreach opportunities, including bringing in quality speakers for its various road shows. The 2017 Winter Road Show will continue with that tradition, featuring Gabe Brown in a five-stop tour of South Dakota.
For those familiar with Gabe Brown, you are sure to pick up a few more tidbits of advice on everything from no-till farming to soil health to grass-fed livestock to profit tips. For those less familiar, Gabe Brown’s story of transitioning from traditional farming and ranching toward a holistic, innovative, and profitable operation that works with natures cycles instead of against them is not only inspiring, but also of great practical value.
Please RSVP for all locations by contacting Jan Rounds at (605) 882-5140 or [email protected] Registration begins at 9:30 a.m. at each location. Lunch is provided.
For planning purposes, please RSVP. Admission to the Winter Road Show is free for all current members of the South Dakota Grassland Coalition. The cost for non-members is $30 per person which includes a one-year Coalition membership.
The 2017 Winter Road Show featuring Gabe Brown schedule is as follows:
• Dec. 11, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (MST), American Legion Hall, Hot Springs, S.D.
• Dec. 12, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (CST), AmericInn, Chamberlain, S.D. *The Coalition’s annual meeting will begin at 12:35 p.m.
• Dec. 13, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (CST), Crooks Community Center, Crooks, S.D.
• Dec. 14, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (CST), Codington County Extension Complex, Watertown, S.D.
• Dec. 15, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (CST), Location to be determined.
Other educational opportunities are also being planned. Mark your calendars and RSVP for the following opportunities.
Dave Pratt’s Intro to Ranching for Profit and New Ways to Think About Your Business
• Dec. 14-15, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• Branding Iron Banquet Room, Belle Fourche, S.D.
• Admission is free to South Dakota Grassland Coalition members. The cost for non-members is $30 per person which includes a one-year Coalition membership.
• RSVP by Dec. 8: Please contact Judge Jessop at 605-280-0127 or [email protected]
Save the dates for other great opportunities
• Grassfed Exchange National Conference: Rapid City, June 20-22, 2018.
• Grassland Management School: Watertown area, July 2018.
• Annual Grazing School: Chamberlain, S.D., mid-September 2018.