BROOKINGS, S.D. – SDSU Extension will host summer tours of winter and spring wheat, oat and field pea crop performance trials across central and western South Dakota in June and early July. SDSU plant breeders, field staff and SDSU Extension staff will be available at all locations to answer questions and look at samples.
• Ideal, June 25: The tour begins at 5 p.m. (central). Attendees will be able to view winter wheat and oat variety trials. This tour is held in conjunction with Jorgensen Land & Cattle. A meal will be served after the tour (26840-26800 309th Ave.).
• Hayes, June 26: This tour begins at 11 a.m. (central) and will include tour of winter wheat variety trials in Stanley County, just west and south of Hayes on the T. Hand Farm (44.326569, -101.065883).
• Harrold, June 26: Tour of field pea varieties begins at 4 p.m. (central). Tour will be held north of Harrold on the T. Smith Farm (44.58071, -99.756610).
• Dakota Lakes Research Farm’s Annual Field Day, June 27: Tour of winter wheat, oat and field pea varieties will begin at 3 p.m. (central) Dakota Lakes Research Farm is near Pierre (21310 308th Ave.)
• Sully County, July 2: Tour of the winter wheat variety trials begins at 11 a.m. (central) T. Young Farm (44.708153, -100.394182).
• Potter County, July 2: Tour of SDSU Spring Wheat variety trials begins at 4 p.m. (central) at Cronin Farms (44.926534, -100.103024).
• Selby, July 9: Tour of field peas, winter wheat, spring wheat and oats begins at 5 p.m. (central). Variety trials are located on M. Stiegelmeier, B. Huber and T. Fiedler Farms. Tour begins: field peas at 5 p.m. at this address, 44.334148, -99.8734457; winter wheat at 6 p.m. at this address, 45.464155, -100017392). A meal will be served during the tour.
• Sturgis, July 15: Tour of spring wheat and field pea variety trials will be held at 5:30 pm (mountain) at the new SDSU Research Farm located near Sturgis (13304 Alkali Rd., directly across from Sturgis Municipal Airport). A meal will be served after the tour.
Anyone interested is encouraged to attend any or all tours. No pre-registration is required. Thanks to the farm cooperators, South Dakota Wheat Commission, South Dakota Pulse Growers, and Sully and Walworth County Crop Improvement Associations for support for these tours.
Directions and more details for each tour are available on the Crops page of the SDSU Extension website, or by emailing Ruth Beck, SDSU Extension agronomy field specialist at email@example.com or call 605-773-8120