Breakfast with beef
Do you find yourself running out the door for work, skipping breakfast and then mid-morning grabbing a sugar-laden breakfast option, such as a donut or a granola bar? You might even find yourself in a vicious cycle as the day progresses feeling unsatisfied and snacking on unhealthy foods more often. If this sounds familiar, you are not alone.
Breakfast is often called the most important meal of the day because it provides the “fuel” that gives us energy to get through the day. Did you know that by spacing protein intake across three meals, you can avoid that hungry feeling, while giving you more control over the foods you choose? Recent research shows that balancing protein intake daily could provide a solution to eliminating mindless snacking. By simply shifting the way you consume protein throughout the day – 25 to 30 grams, plus snacks – you can begin to feel the difference! When you’re already satisfied, you’re less likely to reach for those unhealthy snacks.
Lean beef is a naturally rich source of 10 essential nutrients, and a perfect partner for your everyday breakfast favorites such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products, making it simpler to start your day in a balanced way.
In honor of National Breakfast Month in September, I’m sharing this Beef Sausage & Egg Muffin Cups recipe. This is an easy recipe to make ahead of time and keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator until needed. Simply warm in the microwave a few seconds and serve with a side such as fresh fruit or yogurt. By doing so you will fuel your body with great nutrition and start the day out right by balancing your protein needs.
There are a variety of easy breakfast recipes at beefitswhatsfordinner.com. Be sure to check them out along with our helpful, free 30 Day Protein Challenge toolkit at http://bit.ly/1D6f0ma. It’s a great step-by-step health challenge to help you get the optimal amount of protein throughout the day.
For more beef recipe ideas, contact Holly Swee, RD, LN, South Dakota Beef Industry Council at 605-224-4722 or visit www.sdbeef.org.
Beef Sausage and Egg Muffin Cups
• Total Recipe Time: 45 to 50 minutes
• Makes 4 servings
1 recipe Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage (recipe below)
1 can (4-1/2 ounces) chopped green chiles, undrained
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
5 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 to 2 teaspoons regular or chipotle hot pepper sauce
Salt and pepper
Toppings (optional): Chopped green onion or chives, chopped tomato, salsa or additional hot sauce
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 12-cup standard muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Prepare Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage. Stir chiles and cheese into beef mixture. Evenly divide mixture into prepared pan.
2. Whisk eggs, milk and hot sauce, as desired, in medium bowl. Evenly divide egg mixture over beef mixture in muffin cups.
3. Bake in 375°F oven 17 to 20 minutes or until egg mixture is set and just beginning to brown. Let stand 2 minutes. Loosen edges; remove from muffin pan. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with Toppings, as desired.
Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage: Combine 1 pound ground beef, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add beef mixture; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Drain fat, if needed.
• Test Kitchen Tips: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Recipe courtesy of the Beef Checkoff Program. Visit www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com for more information and recipes.