North Dakota 4-H shooting sports teams place at national championships
North Dakota teams claimed several top team honors and individual national champion awards at the 4-H National Shooting Sports Championships held recently in Grand Island, Nebraska.
Teams competed in four disciplines: smallbore rifle, shotgun, compound archery and hunting skills. Teams consisted of three or four members from one or more counties in each state. Teams were determined by qualifying in a 4-H shooting sports state match.
The national competition consisted of three events for each discipline, with one event completed each day of the competition. Individual and team awards were given daily for each event, with an overall cumulative match award at the end of the week of events.
Results are as follows:
- 3rd in 3-D
- 5th in World Archery Federation archery
- 6th (tied) in field archery
- Tyler Brusseau: 3rd in 3-D, 5th in World Archery Federation archery, 12th in field archery
- Taik Larsen: 10th in field archery, 16th in 3-D, 34th in World Archery Federation archery
- Brennan Weiderrich: 11th in World Archery Federation archery, 15th in 3-D, 42nd in field archery
- Rylee Suhr: 58th in 3-D, 67th in World Archery Federation archery, 75th in field archery
Overall team match results: 4th, with 21 states represented
Individuals overall: Brusseau, 6th; Larsen, 17th; Weiderrich, 19th; Suhr, 67th
- 4th in trap
- 17th in sporting clays
- 23rd in skeet
- Tate Novodorsky, Ward County: 1st in trap, 89th in clays, 91st in skeet
- Clay Ceynar, McKenzie County: 9th in trap, 13th in clays, 72nd in skeet
- Bjorn Brose, Ward County: 36th in trap, 65th in skeet, 89th in clays
- Ethan Myers, Ward County: 54th in clays, 80th in trap, 93rd in skeet
Overall team match results: 14th, with 29 states represented.
Individuals overall: Ceynar, 31st; Novodorsky, 70th; Brose, 71st; Myers, 79th
- 2nd in silhouette
- 2nd in three-position
- 3rd in Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) rapid fire
- Casia Steinhaus, Ramsey County: 1st in three-position, 10th in CMP rapid fire, 16th in silhouette
- Jacob Vaagen, Ramsey County: 3rd in silhouette, 6th in three-position, 7th in CMP rapid fire
- Cassandra Christenson, Ramsey County: 3rd in CMP rapid fire, 23rd in silhouette, 25th in three-position
- Hannah Vaagen, Ramsey County: 4th in three-position, 16th in silhouette, 19th in CMP rapid fire
Individuals overall: Jacob Vaagen, 1st; Steinhaus, 5th; Hannah Vaagen, 8th; Christenson, 18th
- 5th in wildlife identification
- 12th in general hunting
- 12th in decision making
- Katie Schmidt, Hettinger County: 5th in hunting, 30th in decision making, 38th in wildlife identification
- William Schmidt, Hettinger County: 14th in wildlife identification, 43rd in hunting, 43rd in decision making
- Kendra Boehm, Morton County: 18th in wildlife identification, 39th in hunting, 44th in decision making
- Shianne Boehm, Morton County: 24th in wildlife identification, 24th in hunting, 32nd in decision making
Overall team match results: 11th
Individuals overall: Shianne Boehm, 28th; Kendra Boehm, 33rd; William Schmidt, 36th; Katie Schmidt, 40th
Shooting sports is sponsored by Scheels, a supporter of the North Dakota 4-H Foundation.