SowBridge educational series to be held online
SowBridge, the distance educational series for those who work with sows, boars and piglets, and with genetic and reproductive issues, begins its next program year in February, and registration is now underway. New this year, the series will be provided online through Zoom, although participants will be able to use a call-in option instead if they prefer.
Ken Stalder, professor in animal science and swine specialist with Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, said suggestions from participants guide the selection of future topics and speakers, and the live interaction with session speakers will not change.
"SowBridge provides all participants with the opportunity to hear directly from experts, and to contact those experts following the individual sessions," he said.
Stalder, who also is the Iowa contact for SowBridge, said the cost remains at $200 for the first registration from an entity, and half that for each subsequent registration from the same entity.
Sessions are the first Wednesday of every month and run from 11:15 a.m. to about 12:15 p.m. Central time. During each session, participants can ask questions of the industry expert presenter and discuss with other participants from the comfort of their home, office or swine unit. Each registration provides access to one Zoom connection (or call-in) per session and all program materials for each registration, including recordings of the live session.
Registration is due Jan. 18, 2022, to ensure participants receive materials for the first session on Feb. 2. A brochure with information and a registration form is available on the IPIC website. Iowa residents who want more information can call Stalder at 515-294-4683.
2021 session dates and topics are as follows:
- Feb. 2. The Impact of Non-edible Trim Loss on Cull Sow Value
- March 2. Proposition 12 Implications
- April 6. Estrus Detection and Insemination Strategies for Different Housing Systems
- May 4. Lactation Feeding Strategies
- June 1. Global African Swine Fever Overview
- July 6. What Will Happen if ASF Comes to the U.S.?
- Aug. 3. How Does Mass Depopulation Work?
- Sept. 7. How Does PRRS 1-4-4 Compare to Other Strains?
- Oct. 5. Fan Maintenance and Ventilation Settings
- Nov. 2. Body Assessment Methods
- Dec. 7. Pre-weaning Piglet Survival
- Jan. 4, 2023. PCAI: An Update on Adoption in the U.S.
For more information on the sessions or registration, contact Sherry Hoyer at Iowa Pork Industry Center at Iowa State by phone at 515-294-4496 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SowBridge is provided through a cooperative effort of 15 colleges and universities, including Iowa State, from the nation’s major swine producing states.