Milbank FFA Food Science advances to nationals
The Milbank FFA Chapter attended the 85th South Dakota FFA Convention, April 14-16, FFA members were recognized for their achievements and the Food Science Career Development team, Natural Resources team, Floriculture team and Veterinary Science Team placed 1st and will represent South Dakota at the National FFA Convention in October.
On Sunday, several Milbank FFA members received recognition in the Proficiency Award Program for their agriculture projects that are conducted outside of normal classroom time.
AgriScience: Kiera Leddy placed 1st in the Plant Science component of the Agriscience Competition. Kiera will now advance on to Regional FFA Recognition.
Dairy Cattle Placement: Audrey Souza placed 2nd for her work with her dairy cattle at Victory Farms.
Goat Production/Entrepreneurialship: Rebecca Stohr placed 2nd for her project.
Veterinary Science Placement: Morgan Jones placed 3rd for placement at the Prairie Hills Pet Clinic.
Milbank FFA members receiving the State FFA Degree: Nathaniel Steinlicht, Emily Pauli, Natasha Borah, Katelyn Loutsch, Megan Schliesman, and Pattie Berkner. The State FFA Degree, the highest degree of membership conferred by the South Dakota FFA. The requirements for the State FFA degree include:
1. Have earned and productively invested at least $1,000, or worked at least 300 hours in excess of scheduled class time, or a combination thereof, in a supervised agricultural experience program.
2. Demonstrated leadership ability by:
· Performing ten procedures of Parliamentary Law
· Giving a six minute speech.
· Serving as an officer, committee chairperson, or participating member of a chapter committee
Audrey Souza was recognized in the Star Farmer Placement program for her Supervised Agriculture Project.
On Tuesday morning, the Career Development Events teams were announced. The first place teams will represent South Dakota at the National FFA Convention in October in Louisville.
Milbank FFA team placements:
· Food Science-1st Team Placing. Kayla Holtquist, 3rd, Sharon Folk, 7th, Anna Kurtz, 11th, and Ashley McCulloch. The purpose of the Food Science and Technology Career Development Event is to promote learning activities in food science and technology related to the food industry, and to assist students in developing practical knowledge of principles used in team decision making processes.
· Floriculture-1st Team Placing. Members of the team-Katelyn Loutsch-1st, Emily Pauli-3rd, Natasha Borah-6th, and Megan Schliesman-8th. The purpose of the Floriculture Career Development Event is to promote the study or and interest in production and retailing of flowers, plants, and foliage through the agricultural education curriculum.
· Natural Resources-1st Team Placing. Sean Pinkert-1st, Brock Tillma-8th , Kasey Schmidt, and Zach Wiese The purpose of the Natural Resources Career Development Event is to foster student interest, promote environmental and natural resource instruction in the agricultural education curriculum, and provide recognition for those who have demonstrated skills and competencies as a result of environmental and natural resource instruction. Environmental and natural resource education has a responsibility to educate the public and prepare students to enter career in the environmental and natural resource industry.
· Veterinary Science-1st Team Placing. Morgan Jones-1st, Brandi Buescher-2nd, Jamie Mundwiler-3rd and Janne Ericksen-11th. The purpose of the veterinary science career development event is to promote college and career readiness by providing opportunities to develop technical knowledge and demonstrate practical skills in the field of veterinary science.
Other Milbank FFA Teams participating at the State FFA Convention
· Milk Quality and Products (Dairy Foods) – 3rd Team Placing. Nathaniel Steinlicht-6th; Taylor Seehafer-7th, Taylor Welberg and Rachel Johannsen.
· Dairy Cattle – 4th placing. Zach Sousa placed 4th. Emily Pillatzki, Alysha Madsen, and Michaela DeWald. Suzanne Souza coached the team.
· Horse – 4th Team Placing. Members of the team Rebecca Stohr-6th placing, Rebecca Leddy, Alexandra Magilke and Mikayla Sousa. Jody Carlson coached the team.
· Nursery Landscape – 4th Team Placing. Members of the team Audrey Souza, Pattie Berkner, Brandon Peschong and Ryan Hepper. Suzanne Souza assisted with coaching the team.
· Agronomy – 4th Team Placing. Members of the team were: Riley VanderWal-9th Placing. Andrew Christensen, Claire Kastrup and Tiffany Mielitz. Kerica Leddy assisted with coaching the team.
· Ag Mechanics – 10th Placing. Members of the team were: Mikayla Brakke-12th Placing. Clay Brakke, Melissa Lenards and Tara Hanson.
Jerry Janisch is the Milbank FFA Advisor.