Milbank FFA winds up year with banquet, awards
Kayla Holtquist has been selected as the 2013-2014 Milbank FFA Chapter President at the Annual FFA Member-Parent Banquet on May 1. The other FFA Senior Chapter officers selected were: Vice Presidents, Kasey Schmidt; Secretary, Rebecca Stohr; Treasurer, Anna Kurtz; Reporter, Jamie Mundwiler; Sentinel, Sean Pinkert; Student Advisor, Taylor Seehafer; and Parliamentarian, Kiera Leddy.
The following Top Chapter Awards were given out to the following Milbank FFA members.
· The Seize the Moment–Justin Maass Award was awarded to Audrey Souza. This award is voted on by the Milbank FFA members for the FFA member who best represents enthusiasm and dedication for the Milbank FFA Chapter through out the year. Audrey has been recognized for her achievement in her Supervised Agricultural Experience projects and various FFA projects. Audrey was name finalist in Dairy Agriculture Production, Bronze in Dairy Placement Proficiency Award, member of the Milbank Nursery & Landscape team, Agriculture Issue Team, and Prepare Public Speaking. Audrey received a plaque and $150 scholarship from the Lynn & Brenda Maass family.
· Star Greenhand – Claire Kastrup. The Star FFA Greenhand is the top award given to a first year FFA member. Claire was instrumental in starting and organizing the Milbank Agronomy Career Development Team that placed 4th at the State FFA Convention.
· Star Agricultural Placement – Morgan Jones. The FFA Chapter Star Agricultural Placement is awarded to the Milbank FFA member whose main supervised agriculture project is placement at an agricultural business. Morgan placement site is Prairie Hill Vet Clinic. Morgan is a member of the Milbank Veterinary Science team that will represent South Dakota at the National Convention in October.
· Star Farmer – Kiera Leddy. The FFA Chapter Star Farmer is awarded to the Milbank FFA member who has a supervised project is production based. Kiera has a Show Beef Project, Horticulture Project and an AgriScience Project. Kiera placed first in Plant Production AgriScience and will now advance on to Regional FFA Recognition.
· Star Agribusiness – Riley VanderWal. The FFA Chapter Star Agribusiness is awarded to the Milbank FFA member who has a supervised project that is business based. Riley’s main business is to purchase swine for local youth to purchase to show in 4-H and FFA Livestock Shows. Riley also raises swine as a supervised project.
· Member of the Year – Kasey Schmidt. The Member of the Year is awarded to the FFA member who is the most involved with the Milbank FFA Chapter. Kasey was a 2012-2013 FFA Chapter Reporter, participated at the 2012 National FFA Convention as member of the Food Science Team, member of the Senior Conduct of Meeting, and District I Officer. Kasey is currently a member of the Natural Resource Team that will represent South Dakota at the National FFA Convention in October. Kasey’s supervised project is placement at Taco John.
· National FFA Scholarship Program – Katie Loutsch received a $2000 scholarship through the National FFA Scholarship Program. The scholarship is sponsored by Schuneman Equipment Company.
Retiring Officer Plaques were given to the outgoing FFA 2012-2013 senior officers: Secretary-Natasha Borah, Vice President-Katie Loutsch and President-Nathaniel Steinlicht.
Leadership Awards were given to the FFA member who displayed outstanding leadership through out the year were: Freshmen-Rachelle Gabriel; Sophomores-Kiera Leddy, Juniors-Sean Pinkert and Senior-Audrey Souza.
Scholarship Awards for the FFA members with the highest grade point in Agriculture Education Class were; Katie Cannedy; Sophomores-Connor Snaza; Juniors-Amber Schuelke and Seniors-Tucker McKenen.
Milbank FFA members that placed at the State FFA Convention were award their certificates and pins. The National FFA competing team Food Science, Natural Resource, Veterinary Science and Floriculture were also recognized.
Greenhand Pins was awarded to the first year FFA members and Chapter FFA pins to the second year FFA members.
Milbank FFA Advisor is Jerry Janisch.