Container Design Workshop on May 15 is part of McCrory Gardens Third Thursday Program
BROOKINGS — McCrory Gardens continues its monthly Third Thursday Educational Program series on May 15 with a session on Container Design featuring Chris Schlenker, Head Gardener at McCrory Gardens in Brookings. The program will be presented starting at 6:30 p.m. in the McCrory Gardens Education and Visitor Center.
“Container Gardening is an extremely popular trend right now,” said Schlenker, “It might seem a little daunting, but with a little guidance and creativity, anyone can create beautiful container gardens.”
This session will feature a step-by-step presentation on container design and care as well as a hands-on demonstration.
“We hope that folks will join us to learn more about planting beautiful and effective container gardens during this, our second in the Third Thursday Series of programs. Container gardens are great for folks that don’t have much room to garden or want some colorful accents to add to any part of the yard,” said David Graper, Director of McCrory Gardens and SDSU Extension Horticulture Specialist.
Other upcoming classes and events include:
• June 2 – Share the Passion – Iris, with Rae Jean Gee
• June 19 – Gardening with Perennials, with David Graper, Director of McCrory Gardens
• July 17 – Floral Arranging with Your Own Garden Flowers, with Kim James, Instructor of Horticulture at SDSU
• August 21 – Nature Photography, with Margy Pearson and David Graper
• September 18 – Garden Harvesting and Storage Tips, with Master Gardeners and David Graper
• October 16 – Home Wine Making, with David Graper
• November 20 – Winter Garden Getaways, with David Graper
A few other events to get on your calendar include the celebration of National Public Gardens Day at McCrory Gardens on May 17 and the McCrory Gardens Annual Garden Party on August 1.
The monthly Third Thursday programs will be held at the Education and Visitor Center at McCrory Gardens, located at 631 22nd. Ave. in Brookings. Each program costs $3 for members of the Friends of McCrory Gardens, $5 for non-members.
Contact McCrory Gardens at 605-688-6707; go to our website at www.McCroryGardens.com or look for us on Facebook for additional information.