Ag Women’s Day set for June 1
The 8th Annual Agricultural Women’s Day will be held June 1 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Faulkton Community Center. The event is hosted by the USDA Farm Service Agency.
As of May 20, 201 people registered for the event, but room is still available by calling the Faulkton FSA office at 605-598-6237 or the Sully County FSA office at 605-258-2613.
This year’s theme is “Living the Change.” Registration is from 8 to 8:55 a.m. with the program ending at 4 p.m.
“We are excited to host Greg Peterson of the Peterson Farm Brothers as our keynote speaker for the day,” said Dawn Nagel of the FSA office in Onida.
The 24-year-old Peterson is part of the Peterson Farm Brothers of Youtube fame. Peterson started producing his videos for a class project at Kansas State University. He convinced his brothers Nathan and Kendal to star in his video “I’m Farming and I Grow It.” This video went viral and received media attention. They have appeared on TV interviews locally and nationally including Fox News in New York. They have gone on to include their sister Laura as an honorary “bro” in additional videos. The videos have been viewed in 230 countries. The Peterson Farm Brothers have performed in Germany, Canada, Australia, and South Africa. They plan to continue making these videos to help those who do not understand farming and where their food comes from.
Faulkton is not new to Peterson. On Sept. 24, 2015, he was the featured speaker for the Jr. REAL program at Faulkton School.
Additional speakers include:
• “Youth and Microloans” by Nancy Harrell, FSA farm loan officer.
• “Empowering Women with Gifts from the Earth” by Ruth Gough, registered aroma therapist.
• “Cancer Navigation: Designing Care for Rural America” by Jamie Arens, MSW ACINC director Avera Cancer Institute.
• “What is Title Insurance?” by Kelly Bowar, database manager, Faulk and Edmunds County Land and Title.
• “Finding Your Voice in Agriculture” by Jamie Johnson, producer, of Frankfort.
Registration includes lunch catered by Cheryl Schaefers Catering. There will be many door prizes and participants get a free registration bag loaded with goodies.