Summer range education, tours, and events: Something for everyone in 2016
About this time every year I dedicate my article to providing you with options and opportunities for grassland fun. Whether you prefer the term range, pasture, prairie, or grassland, the following list will provide something for everyone from the very young to the most seasoned rancher and everyone one between. As always, all of these tours and events have flyers and information I send out via email. If you’d like to be included on that distribution list, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll add you to the list.
• June 7: Society For Range Management “Excellence in Range Management” Tour, at Arneson Ranch near Red Owl, Meade County, S.D., 1 p.m. MDT, meal included. Call Tanse Herman at 605-347-4952 ext. 3 Tanse.email@example.com for details.
• June 8-10: South Dakota Youth Range Camp, at Lamphere Campground and Meade County School, Sturgis, S.D. High school students. $50/student. Lodging and transportation on your own. For more information contact Tate Lantz (605) 390-8049 firstname.lastname@example.org or David Ollila (605) 394-1722 email@example.com
• June 8-10: South Dakota Professionals Range Camp, at Lamphere Campground and Meade Coutny School, Sturgis, S.D. $150/student. Lodging and transportation on your own. For more information contact Tate Lantz (605) 390-8049 firstname.lastname@example.org or David Ollila (605) 394-1722 email@example.com
• June 10-11: South Dakota Grassland Coalition 10th Annual “Birds. At Home on the Range” bird watching tour, at Bad River (Ted Turner) Ranch near Ft. Pierre, Stanley County, S.D. $20 registration for adults, students/kids free. Starting at 3:25 on June 10 at the ranch. Meals included. Lodging on your own. For more information, contact Judge Jessop: (605) 280-0127 firstname.lastname@example.org
• June 14-16: SDSU Extension “Soil Stewardship for Healthy Landscapes Workshops,” at Watertown Regional Center (June 14), Pierre University Center (June 15) , and Sioux Falls Regional Center (June 16). Workshops begin at 9 a.m. Noon meal included. For more information visit iGrow.org
• June 20-22: South Dakota Rangeland Days/Soil Days, near Wall, S.D. More information to come.
• June 29: South Dakota Leopold Conservation Award Tour, at Cronin Farms near Gettysburg, S.D. More details to come. For more information email Judge Jessop at email@example.com.
• June 30: Society For Range Management “Excellence in Range Management / Soil Health Workshop,” at Michalski Ranch near Willow Lake, Clark County, S.D. Soil Health Workshop 1-5 p.m., meal 5-6 p.m., Ranch Tour 6-8:30 p.m. To RSVP for meal count by June 23 or for more information contact: Shane Jordan, District Conservationist, (605) 472-0102, ext. 3 (Redfield NRCS office), firstname.lastname@example.org or Kyle Monteith, Soil Conservationist, (605) 532-3639 ext. 3 (Clark USDA office), email@example.com.
• July 19: Society for Range Management “Excellence in Range Management / Conservation Stewardship Program” joint tour, at Dean and Connie Hunt Ranch and Ray Effling Ranch near Gary/Altamont, Deuel County, S.D. This will be an afternoon/evening tour beginning at the Hunt pastures at 1 p.m. and Effling pastures at 5 p.m. Meal provided at Effling’s. More details/information to come. For information or to register contact Amy Engels firstname.lastname@example.org.
• July 29: South Dakota Grassland Coalition / South Dakota Cattlemen’s Association “Happy Cow Bus Tour,” at Blue Bell (Herb and Bev Hamman) Ranch near Clear Lake, Deuel County, and the SDSU Cow/Calf Unit near Brookings. Meeting at 8 a.m. at Watertown Best Western Ramkota. Free to current SDGC and SDCA members. Lunch included. For more information or to register contact: Lyle Perman at 605-649-7629 or Judge Jessop at 605-280-0127 (optional social gathering Thursday evening, July 28, at the Ramkota).
• Aug. 30 and Sept. 1: South Dakota Grassland Coalition Ranch Education Series featuring Greg Judy. August 30 date hosted at the Bart Carmichael Ranch near Faith, S.D. September 1 date to be hosted on a yet-to-be determined ranch in eastern S.D. More info to come.
• Sept. 12-16: South Dakota Grassland Coalition annual Grazing School, near Chamberlain, S.D. For information contact email@example.com.