American Angus Association celebrates 60 years in Saint Joseph, Mo.
Driving down Frederick Avenue in Saint Joseph, Mo., you’ll notice a historic brick building that’s home to one of the beef industry’s largest membership organizations.
The American Angus Association, which represents more than 25,000 members nationwide, officially opened its headquarters in northwest Missouri on June 29, 1956. The Association welcomes the community to tour the building on Wednesday, June 29, and celebrate as the Angus team marks 60 years in Saint Joseph, Mo.
The American Angus Association was established more than 130 years ago to serve as the official registry for the growing Angus breed. The organization made its home in the Chicago stockyards from 1902 until moving to the new Missouri location.
History tells us that Saint Joseph, Mo., worked harder than anyone else to draw the American Angus Association to its city. A five-acre tract of land along what was then the eastern edge of town was donated by a group of area business leaders. The area is also in close proximity to four land-grant universities: Kansas State University, Manhattan; the University of Missouri, Columbia; the University of Nebraska, Lincoln; and Iowa State University, Ames.
Groundbreaking took place on July 4, 1955, and a year later the grand opening event welcomed more than 1,000 people to see the Angus breed’s new home in Saint Joseph, Mo.
Throughout the past 60 years, the American Angus Association has experienced unparalleled growth in the beef cattle industry. Today, nearly two-thirds of the nation’s cow herd is Angus influenced, and demand for high quality beef has never been stronger.
The organization’s headquarters in Saint Joseph, Missouri, has witnessed major milestones throughout the breed’s history, including the launch of the Certified Angus Beef® (CAB®) brand, purchase of the Angus Journal® magazine, and establishing the first-ever National Angus Convention and Trade Show.