Spontaneous combustion blamed for smoldering feed at Hub City Livestock
Kelda J.L. Pharris firstname.lastname@example.org
A pile of feed at the north end of Hub City Livestock property in Aberdeen began smoldering Jan. 8.
The smoking feed was reported from 2502 S. Fifth St. at 8:13 a.m.
A pile of distillery feed, a byproduct from ethanol that is used for cattle feed, started smoking due to a chemical reaction, said Scott Meints, Brown County Emergency Management director, who was on scene.
“Spontaneous combustion,” Meints said.
He said it is rare for feed to start on fire when it’s below freezing, but that it’s possible with a little moisture and a mix of ground hay and feed.
Aberdeen Rural Fire Department put out the smoldering grain and cleared the scene just after 9:30 a.m.
— Reporter Kelda J.L. Pharris