2018 Private Pesticide Applicator Training
If you plan to use pesticides (both general and restricted use) for the purpose of producing agriculture commodity amounting to $1,000 or more, you need to be certified as a private applicator. Examples of some of the pesticides you may apply are herbicide, insecticide, fungicide, etc. You may choose one of the following three ways to get certified or re-certified:
• Attend a 3-hour training session at any certification/re-certification site.
• Take the private applicator exam on-line at the Department of Agriculture’s website: http://apps.sd.gov/doa/pwt/.
You must bring along your government-issued photo ID while taking certification training. For most people this would be the driver’s license, but it could also be your passport, military ID, etc. If you are recertifying, please bring along your certification number. Getting certification is not only the law but also shows that you are competent enough to apply pesticides on properly, safely, and profitably. The private applicator certificate is valid for five years and allows you to buy and apply general and restricted use pesticides for your agricultural production. Unlike commercial applicators, a private applicator cannot accept cash for applying pesticides but can trade agricultural services- for example, you can spray applications for your neighbor in exchange of baling your hay.
South Dakota State University Extension is hosting series of private applicator training sessions this spring in including two during the Watertown Farm Show. There will not be any charge for attending these private applicator training sessions, so please feel free to attend any of the following training session as per your convenience.
Below is the list of training sessions around in and around Codington County.
• Jan. 16: Clark. County Courthouse. 200 N Commercial St. 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• Jan. 19: De Smet. Kingsbury Co. 4H ground. 107 Lyle Ave NE. 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• Jan. 26: Brookings. 1st Lutheran Church. 337 8th St. 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• Jan. 26: Webster. Armory. 120 W 11th Ave. 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• Feb. 7: Watertown. County Ext. Building. 1910 W Kemp Ave. 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
• Feb. 8: Watertown. County Ext. Building. 1910 W Kemp Ave. 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
• Feb. 20: Sisseton. Roberts Co. 4H ground. 11917 BIA Hwy 700. 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• Feb. 23: Milbank. Grant Co. Courthouse. 210 E 5th Ave. 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• Feb. 27: Hayti. Hamlin Co. 4H ground. 310 Pheasant Ave. 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• March 2: Clear Lake. Deuel Co. 4H ground. 47625 181st St. 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• March 22: Watertown. County Ext. Building. 1910 W Kemp Ave. 6 to 9 p.m.
For complete list of all training sessions across South Dakota, please visit South Dakota Dept. of Agriculture website at http://bit.ly/2Eo8XMf.
For more information, please contact your closest SDSU Extension Center.