SMSU Farm Outlook and Education Seminar scheduled Feb. 14
MARSHALL, Minn. — The 34th annual Farm Outlook & Education Seminar will be held on Feb. 14 from 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. in the Conference Center Ballroom on the campus of Southwest Minnesota State University.
The Farm Outlook & Education Seminar is a scholarship fundraiser for students in SMSU’s agriculture programs.
Three speakers with broad agriculture backgrounds will highlight the event. They will share their expertise on a number of ag topics, including agronomics and economics; analysis of current grain and livestock market conditions; and strengthening relationships with ag lenders.
Registration begins at 8 a.m., with a welcome and introductions at 9 a.m. Tickets are $100 per person, or $150 for a couple, which includes lunch.
Pre-registration deadline is Feb. 12. The preferred method of registration is online: SMSUFoundation.org/farmoutlook2018. Registration can also be mailed to: SMSU Foundation, 1501 State St., Marshall, MN, 56258.
• Jim Emter is the CEO of Van Ahn and Company, Inc., where he started back in 2003. The company has been assisting producers with risk management techniques since 1987. Their goal is to help commercial operations, producers and end users establish sound, detailed marketing plans.
• Ken Franzky is the Agronomy Services Manager of Minnesota and South Dakota for Centrol Crop Consulting. He has extensive experience as a crop management specialist, account manager and agronomy service manager with a number of major agricultural companies, including Syngenta and DuPont-Pioneer.
• Paul Lanoue is the Dean of Agriculture & Business at Minnesota West Community and Technical College. He grew up on a farm near Tracy, Minn., where he developed a passion for agriculture and education. Lanoue and his team of instructors work with farmers to help achieve their financial and personal goals to leave a legacy on their farm. He also farms crops and cattle with his family south of Marshall. He is pursuing his master’s degree at SMSU.
The Farm Outlook & Education Seminar is sponsored by sustaining affiliates Ag Country Farm Credit Services, Centrol Crop Consulting, First Independent Bank, F&M Bank Minnesota, Granite Falls Bank, Midwest Ag Enterprises, Minnesota Corn Growers Association, Minnwest Bank and Ralco.
• 8 a.m.: Registration opens
• 9 a.m.: Welcome and introductions
• 9:15 a.m.: Ken Franzky, “Merging Agronomics with Economics”
• 10:15 a.m.: Break
• 10:30 a.m.: Jim Emter, “Analysis of Current Conditions in the Grain and Livestock Markets”
• 11:30 a.m.: Prime rib lunch
• 12:30 p.m.: Jim Emter, “How to Adapt to the Changing Markets”
• 1:45 p.m.: Break
• 2 p.m.: Paul Lanoue, “Strengthening Your Relationship with Your Ag Lender”
• 3:30 p.m.: Seminar close.