South Dakota State University’s Volga Research Farm hosts Summer Tour on July 19
BROOKINGS, S.D. — South Dakota State University’s Volga Research Farm will host its annual Summer Tour on July 19 at the farm located at 21260 464th Ave., Volga. The tour begins at 4:00 p.m. and ends at dusk.
The farm is located approximately 1.5 miles south of Volga on Brookings County Road 5.
The summer tour will feature plot tours highlighting research happening on the farm, as well as presentations and demonstrations on weed management, cover crops, crop and insect management, and weather updates by SDSU faculty and SDSU Extension staff.
The summer tour is free of charge and open to the public. No pre-registration is necessary. A meal will be provided.
Tour 1: Weed Management
• Pre-Emergent Herbicides and Weed Management Strategies in the Glyphosate-Resistant Period: Paul O. Johnson, SDSU Extension weed management coordinator
Tour 2: Cover Crops
• Soil Carbon and Nitrogen and Cover Crop Relationships: Anthony Bly, SDSU Extension soils field specialist
• Managing Cover Crop Opportunities and Challenges: Sara Bauder and David Karki, SDSU Extension agronomy field specialists
• Herbicide Interactions with Cover Crops: Gared Shaffer, SDSU Extension weeds field specialist
Tour 3: Crop and Insect Management
• What’s Causing Problems and What to be Watching for in 2018: Adam Varenhorst, SDSU Extension field crop entomologist
• 2018 Update on Crop Performance Testing: Jonathan Kleinjan, SDSU Extension crop production associate
Tour 4: Weather Information
• What’s New in Weather and New Tools on the Mesonet at SDState: Laura Edwards, SDSU Extension state climatologist, and Nathan Edwards, Mesonet manager
Between tours, stop and talk with Connie Tande, SDSU Extension plant diagnostician, about plant sample tissues, identification of peats and field problems.
The tour is sponsored by the South Dakota Crop Improvement Association, South Dakota Soybean Research and Promotion Council and South Dakota Wheat Commission.
For more information on the tour contact Paul O. Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 605-688-4591.