Minnesota DNR invites comment on special fishing regulations
ST. PAUL — The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is proposing a series of special regulations for the 2020 fishing season. Special regulations are developed by area fisheries offices to achieve specific management objectives, and deviate from normal state and regional regulations.
“Lots of folks don’t realize how important it is for us to have Minnesotans’ perspectives integrated into our fish management goals,” said Jon Hansen, DNR fisheries programs consultant. “Public input and engagement are central to helping us work with Minnesotans to effectively manage fisheries.”
Input often leads to a specific management objective, Hansen said, such as increasing the size of northern pike in a particular lake. The DNR develops regulations to achieve that objective, and anglers can offer feedback on the proposed rule changes.
DNR fisheries managers spend much of their time assessing fish populations, which reveals whether management objectives are being met. If they’re not, the DNR generally proposes new regulations and invites public comment.
Anglers unable to attend a local meeting can write or call their local fisheries office. Contact information is available online at mndnr.gov/areas/fisheries. The deadline for comments is 10 days following the local meeting.
• Aitkin County: New special walleye regulations on Minnewawa and Horseshoe lakes, 4:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4, Aitkin DNR area office, 1200 Minnesota Ave. S., Aitkin.
• Becker County: Removing special northern pike regulations on Eunice and Maud lakes, 6 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 19, Lake Eunice Town Hall, 12708 Townhall Road, Audobon.
• Beltrami County: Two meetings — northern pike regulation change on Upper Red Lake, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 26, North Beltrami Community Center, Gould Avenue SE and Main Street., Kelliher; and removing special northern pike regulation on Big Lake, 6:30 p.m., Ten Lake Township Hall, 2142 Mission Road NE, Cass Lake.
• Cass County: Removing special northern pike regulations on Ada and Ten Mile lakes, 6 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 25, at The Hub, 213 1st St. S., Hackensack.
• Clearwater County: Removing special northern pike and muskie regulations on Elk Lake, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 24, Itasca State Park Visitor Center, 36750 Main Park Drive, Park Rapids.
• Cook County: Removing special northern pike regulations on Little Cascade and Loon lakes, 6 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, Cook County Community Center, 317 W. 5th St., Grand Marais.
• Crow Wing County: Northern pike regulation change on Mitchell Lake, 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 24, DNR area office, 1601 Minnesota Drive, Brainerd.
• Hubbard County: Northern pike regulation change on 8th, 9th and 10th Crow Wing lakes, 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 12, Community Meeting Room at Northwoods Bank, 1200 E. First St., Park Rapids.
• Itasca County: Two meetings — walleye regulation changes on Moose, Deer, Battle, Pickerel, Split Hand and Swan lakes, and a smallmouth bass regulation change on Turtle Lake, 6 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 9, Big Fork City Hall, 200 Main Ave., Big Fork; and 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 30, Minnesota Interagency Fire Center, 402 SE 11th St., Grand Rapids.
• Kandiyohi County: Two meetings — largemouth bass regulation change on Long Lake, 6 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 25, Roseville Township Hall, 15768 232nd Ave. NE., Hawick; and walleye regulation change on Green Lake, 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 18, Dethlefs Community Center, 317 Hillcrest Ave., Spicer.
• Ramsey County: Largemouth bass regulation change on Turtle Lake, 7 p.m. Monday, Sept. 30, Shoreview Community Center, 4580 Victoria St. N., Shoreview.
• St. Louis County: Two meetings — northern pike regulation change on Prairie Lake, 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 3, Floodwood Fair Building, 107 W. 7th Ave., Floodwood; and removing special northern pike regulations on Elephant Lake, 7 p.m., Sept. 24, Camp Five Town Hall, County Road 180, Fire Number 6560, Orr.
• Todd County: Black crappie regulation change on Mound Lake, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 12, Shadys Golden Eagle, 13218 County Road 103, Burtrum.
• Washington County: Largemouth bass regulation change on Olson and Demontreville lakes and removing special northern pike regulation on Big Carnelian Lake, 6 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 2, Stillwater Public Library, Margaret Rivers B Room, 224 3rd St. N., Stillwater.