NASDA elects Doug Goehring of North Dakota as president
The National Association of State Departments of Agriculture (NASDA) has elected a new slate of officers for the coming year. North Dakota Agriculture Commissioner Doug Goehring will serve as NASDA’s 2019-20 president and will host the 2020 NASDA Annual Meeting in Medora, N.D., on Aug. 30 — Sept. 2, 2020.
“Farmers and ranchers are struggling to get by. Now is time to leverage NASDA’s nonpartisanship to get things accomplished in Washington DC,” said newly elected NASDA President and North Dakota Agriculture Commissioner Doug Goehring. “2020 will also bring a new strategic plan for our organization as we continue to build upon the momentum that we have gained over the last five years.”
Also elected to NASDA’s Board of Directors were Kentucky Commissioner of Agriculture Ryan Quarles (vice president), New York Commissioner of Agriculture Richard Ball (second vice president), and Wyoming Director of Agriculture Doug Miyamoto (secretary-treasurer). New Mexico Secretary of Agriculture Jeff Witte will serve as NASDA’s past president and Indiana Director of Agriculture Bruce Kettler will serve in the at-large position. Vermont Secretary of Agriculture Anson Tebbetts, Arkansas Secretary of Agriculture Wes Ward, California Secretary of Agriculture Karen Ross, and Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig will serve as the Northeastern, Southern, Western, and Midwestern representatives respectively.
Following his election, Commissioner Goehring appointed the leadership of NASDA’s six policy committees:
Marketing and International Trade Committee
• Chair: Washington Director of Agriculture Derek Sandison (Continuing).
• Vice Chair: Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig (Continuing).
Natural Resources and Environment Committee
• Chair: Idaho Director of Agriculture Celia Gould (New).
• Vice Chair: Delaware Secretary of Agriculture Michael Scuse (Continuing).
Animal Agriculture Committee
• Chair: Oklahoma Secretary of Agriculture Blayne Arthur (New).
• Vice Chair: Tennessee Commissioner of Agriculture Charlie Hatcher (New).
Plant Agriculture & Pesticide Regulation Committee
• Chair: Indiana Director of Agriculture Bruce Kettler (Continuing).
• Vice Chair: Connecticut Commissioner of Agriculture Bryan Hurlburt (New).
Rural Development and Financial Security Committee
• Chair: Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture Jewel Bronaugh (New).
• Vice Chair: Arkansas Secretary of Agriculture Wes Ward (New).
Food Systems and Nutrition Committee
• Chair: California Secretary of Agriculture Karen Ross (New).
• Vice Chair: Massachusetts Commissioner of Agriculture John Lebeaux (New).
NASDA is a nonpartisan, nonprofit association which represents the elected and appointed commissioners, secretaries, and directors of the departments of agriculture in all fifty states and four U.S. territories. NASDA grows and enhances agriculture by forging partnerships and creating consensus to achieve sound policy outcomes between state departments of agriculture, the federal government, and stakeholders. Learn more about NASDA at www.nasda.org.