Website development program launching for specialty producers
The South Dakota Specialty Producers Association (SDSPA) is launching a new program in 2020 to offer assistance in building new websites or updating the look of an existing website for specialty crop producers.
SDSPA received a Specialty Crop Block Grant in the fall of 2019 to aide in the website development. A total of 10 sponsorships will be available for producers of specialty crops in South Dakota.
The purpose of these websites is to promote the increase of sales of specialty crops. The websites will include four pages. The ‘Homepage’ will have text and photographs about the producer. The ‘About Us’ page will give a company history and tell the producer’s story. The ‘Services/Products Page’ will contain a list of client’s services or products. It will not be an ecommerce page only an informational page. The ‘Contact Us’ page will contain a form allowing website visitors to send a message to the producer.
The website created for the producer will be mobile friendly. The site design will be made to match any existing logo colors. If the producer does not have a logo they can choose colors of their liking. Some form of analytics will be setup on the site. The producer will own the intellectual property rights to all text, graphics, photos, designs, and visual elements that are created for the website.
To apply for SDSPA’s Website Sponsorship Program eligible producers must also sell a specialty crop as defined by USDA. The producer must agree to these terms:
1. Must join or be an existing member of SDSPA.
2. Have an email account or be able to create one.
3. Purchase a domain, which costs approximately $45, if the producer does not currently own a domain.
4. Pay for 1-year of hosting, which costs approximately $120. If the producer currently has a hosting package it must be on a platform the designer can access and have a website builder app available.
5. Provide all photos, videos, art work, and text for the website at the expense of the producer. The producer will guarantee they have the rights to use any elements provided and that the elements are free from copyright infringement.
6. Agree to provide quarterly analytic data to SDSPA for the purpose of grant through December of 2021. The web designer will help set up this system.
If interested in applying for SDSPA’s Website Sponsorship Program please visit www.sdspecitaltyproducers.org and complete the application by Feb. 28. A juried panel will review the applications in March and 10 producers will be chosen to receive websites. In early April producers will be notified they have been selected and contacted by the web designer for their first consultation.
Please contact SDSPA at email@example.com with questions.